Nothing compares to Sardinia when it comes to amazing landscapes and breath-taking sea view. But what about events, sport events and festivals?
Let’s look at the main Sardinian events for 2023 divided by month so it’s easier for you readers to choose which event to attend and when.
- Festa di Sant’Antioco Martire The festival of Sant’Antioco (edition #663) is one of the most important events of the island that embodies tradition, folklore, faith, food and entertainment. Sant’Antioco is the patron saint of Sardinia. Starts: April 30 2023 Ends: May 2 2023Sant’Antioco (Carbonia-Iglesias province) Sardinia 09017
- Festa di San Simplicio One of the most important events in Olbia, the “Festa di San Simplicio” represents an appointment deeply felt by the citizens of this town: this festival includes dress parades, poetry and songs in Sardinian language and local gastronomy. Not to be missed the fireworks show at night. Starts: May 15 2023 Ends: May 15 2023Olbia (Olbia-Tempio) Sardinia 07026
- GiroTonno The GiroTonno (tuna festival) event is basically an international culinary competition held in the island of San Pietro in the southwest of Sardinia where gastronomes promote the local ancient tradition of the “tonnare” (tuna traps). Starts: June 1 2023 Ends: June 04 2023Carloforte (San Pietro island) Sardinia 09014
- Feast of St Giovanni (Focs de Sant Joan) This event is held each year in Alghero on the St Giovanni beach; it is a feast that celebrates the beginning of the summer, the friendship and brotherhood with its famous fires (called Focs in Catalan). Friends (must be dressed in white) who want to seal their friendship are invited to the propitiatory Jump of the Fire (Salto del Fuoco) on the beach. Starts: June 23 2023 Ends: June 23 2023Alghero Sardinia 07041
- S’Ardia A wild horse ride made in honour of Saint Constantine (with 100 knights), which takes place every year on July 6 and is repeated on the morning of July 7; this horse ride remembers the battle of the “Milvian Bridge” between Constantine and Maxentius. Starts: July 06 2023 Ends: July 07 2023Sedilo (Oristano) Sardinia 09076
- Time in Jazz Berchidda (located in the province of Sassari) and the neighbouring villages are hosting the most important Jazz music event in Sardinia and one of the most important in Italy. This is the 32nd edition of this jazz music festival: a lot of special guests are attending coordinated by the founder Paolo Fresu. – Date to be confirmed Starts: August 07 2023 Ends: August 16 2023Berchidda Sardinia 07022
- Faradda di li candareri – Descent of the Candelieri “Candelieri” means Candle bearers: in this parade locals carry large candles representing the different Sassari districts they belong to. This is a huge and popular event held in Sassari which we covered earlier in the Descent of the Candelieri blog post. Starts: August 14 2023 Ends: August 14 2023Sassari Sardinia 07100
- Sagra del Redentore “Il Redentore” is a traditional festival (with religious and folklore events) held in Nuoro during the last Sunday in August. Not to be missed the parades of masks and costumes typical of Sardinia. Starts: August 27 2023 Ends: August 27 2023Nuoro Sardinia 08100
- Sant Miquel Alghero (Festival of Saint Michael) The feast of “Sant Miquel” is celebrated each year during the last weekend of September with a 12-day festival in honour of St. Michael the patron saint of the city. This celebration used to mark the culmination of the summer season in Alghero; as of today it has become more a must see for visitors with its games, music and many events. Starts: September 29 2023 Ends: September 29 2023Alghero Sardinia 07041