Nothing compares to Sardinia when it comes to amazing landscapes and breath-taking sea view. But what about events, sport events and festivals?
Let’s look at the main Sardinian events for 2022 divided by month so it’s easier for you readers to choose which event to attend and when.
IMPORTANT: due to the current situation most of the events are being postponed or cancelled.
- Festa di Sant’Antioco Martire The festival of Sant’Antioco (660th edition!) is one of the most important events of the island that embodies tradition, folklore, faith, food and entertainment. Sant’Antioco is the patron saint of Sardinia (dates to be confirmed). Starts: May 4 2020 Ends: May 6 2020Sant’Antioco (Carbonia-Iglesias province) Sardinia 09017
- Festa di San Simplicio One of the most important events in Olbia, the “Festa di San Simplicio” represents an appointment deeply felt by the citizens of this town: this festival includes dress parades, poetry and songs in Sardinian language and local gastronomy. Not to be missed the fireworks show at night. Starts: May 15 2020 Ends: May 15 2020Olbia (Olbia-Tempio) Sardinia 07026
- GiroTonno The GiroTonno (tuna festival) event is basically an international culinary competition held in the island of San Pietro in the southwest of Sardinia where gastronomes promote the local ancient tradition of the “tonnare” (tuna traps). Starts: May 30 2020 Ends: June 02 2020Carloforte (San Pietro island) Sardinia 09014
- Feast of St Giovanni (Focs de Sant Joan) This event is held each year in Alghero on the St Giovanni beach; it is a feast that celebrates the beginning of the summer, the friendship and brotherhood with its famous fires (called Focs in Catalan). Friends (must be dressed in white) who want to seal their friendship are invited to the propitiatory Jump of the Fire (Salto del Fuoco) on the beach. Starts: June 23 2020 Ends: June 23 2020Alghero Sardinia 07041
- S’Ardia A wild horse ride made in honour of Saint Constantine (with 100 knights), which takes place every year on July 6 and is repeated on the morning of July 7 (the event is cancelled for 2020); this horse ride remembers the battle of the “Milvian Bridge” between Constantine and Maxentius. Starts: July 06 2020 Ends: July 07 2020Sedilo (Oristano) Sardinia 09076
- Time in Jazz Berchidda (located in the province of Sassari) and the neighbouring villages are hosting the most important Jazz music event in Sardinia and one of the most important in Italy. This is the 32nd edition of this jazz music festival: a lot of special guests are attending coordinated by the founder Paolo Fresu. Starts: August 07 2019 Ends: August 16 2019Berchidda Sardinia 07022
- Faradda di li candareri – Descent of the Candelieri “Candelieri” means Candle bearers: in this parade locals carry large candles representing the different Sassari districts they belong to. This is a huge and popular event held in Sassari which we covered earlier in the Descent of the Candelieri blog post. NOTE: This event is cancelled for 2020 Starts: August 14 2020 Ends: August 14 2020Sassari Sardinia 07100
- Sagra del Redentore “Il Redentore” is a traditional festival (with religious and folklore events) held in Nuoro during the last Sunday in August. Not to be missed the parades of masks and costumes typical of Sardinia. Starts: August 30 2020 Ends: August 30 2020Nuoro Sardinia 08100
- Sant Miquel Alghero (Festival of Saint Michael) The feast of “Sant Miquel” is celebrated each year during the last weekend of September with a 12-day festival in honour of St. Michael the patron saint of the city. This celebration used to mark the culmination of the summer season in Alghero; as of today it has become more a must see for visitors with its games, music and many events. Starts: September 29 2019 Ends: September 29 2019Alghero Sardinia 07041